Ear Surgery at Buffalo Niagara Plastic Surgery
Conveniently located to serve Niagara Falls and Buffalo NY
Also known as otoplasty or ear reshaping
Cosmetic surgery of the ear, or otoplasty, is an aesthetic procedure that alters the size, position, or proportion of the ears. The outcome of ear reshaping surgery varies greatly depending on the changes that are desired, but these procedures generally improve self-confidence, especially in children and teenagers. If the ears stick out, ear pinning can be performed to flatten the ears against the head. If one ear is positioned higher than the other, ear repositioning can create symmetry. Large, oversized ears can be addressed alone or in conjunction with other ear issues.
When to Consider Ear Surgery
- If you were born with overly large or small ears
- If your ears are disproportionate to your head or oddly placed
- If your ears stick out prominently
- If you have suffered an injury that has negatively impacted the shape or positioning of your ears
Many people who consider otoplasty also consider rhinoplasty (nose surgery).
- Ear surgery can improve the shape and proportion of your ears.
- Ear surgery can provide a boost to your self-confidence and is a low-risk procedure that can be performed on children over the age of five.
- Results generally last a lifetime with minimal fluctuations.
- Young children might have trouble dealing with aftercare and recovery.
- Ear symmetry may be affected.
- Depending on the procedure, scars may be noticeable.
These are the top three pros and cons to weigh when considering ear surgery. If you want to focus on what is unique to you, please consult with your aesthetic plastic surgeon.
Am I a good candidate for ear surgery?
The following are some common reasons why you may want to consider ear surgery:
- If your ears have reached their full size, which usually happens around age six. Children are common patients for this procedure.
- A set-back otoplasty, which is a procedure to reduce the prominence of ears that stick out too much, can be performed on adults as well as children.
If you are in good general health, have a positive attitude and realistic expectations, you are most likely a good candidate for this procedure.
“A consultation for aesthetic surgery is truly a meeting of the minds — the development of a connection between patient and surgeon. Your job is to tell us what you want; our job is to tell you what’s possible, reasonable, and, above all, safe.
We are privileged to have an outstanding team of medical professionals who are caring, exceptionally talented, and driven to help you look and feel your very best.”
– Robert J. Perry, MD FACS
Your ear surgery (Otoplasty) will be performed at an accredited hospital-based or free-standing ambulatory surgery center.